Monday, October 12, 2009

Providential

I revel in the strength,
of my talisman's power.
I guard it with my life,
I religiously follow routines.

Is it that powerful,
To guide every step I make?
To it, I attribute success,
to lack of it my failures.

Could it really be,
I am my own power?
Stripped free of charms,
Will I still be me?

Are amulets just a prop,
To stir the dormant self?
The trinkets I lug around,
Are they holding me back?

Should I be reveling, instead,
in me and who I am?
I'd rather not jinx my life,
For the want of luck!

9 comments:

  1. J.S, you never can be too sure! This keeps me reading to the end, and the big question is still not answered. A good and worrisome along the way makes us wonder for ourselves along with your (author's) problem.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ask important questions here.
    Excellent words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your questions drive this poem forward nicely. It mirrors how we question ourselves daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love poems like this that ask questions and make me think! Stanza 3 is especially meaningful to me. It is a good question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of guarding a powerful object with life. It speaks to the power of life itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are your own power - your own talisman...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interested to know what triggered this poem? The title word or the Talisman? Someone said "Luck has the peculiar habit of favoring those who don't wait for it."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading; and thank you in advance for the feedback