Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Din in the train

As I sit in the train,
Watching people go by,
Detachedly I strain,
To hear words floating by,

“Why, Mummy, why?”
I hear a little whine,
“when can we see the sky?”
I then hear a sigh of resign.

Hushed laughter spots,
A loud bellow interrupts,
An instrument melody waltzs,
A harmonious song erupts.

A soft purring snore,
A whimper and a cry,
A boy practising his roar
And a conversation gone awry.

As I slowly alight,
With a smile, slightly sly,
I witness a wordy fight.
And I wonder, should I spy?

6 comments:

  1. from Therese B. at RWP -- The last line is so true to life. Often, it's not until after we have done something, that we ask whether we should have done it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The train seems to be a perfectly exhilarating and yet peaceful place to 'poeple watch' which can then spur a poetic moment. You captured many of these moments here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't think eavesdropping is so bad if done inconspicuously as in this poem you've cleverly written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like the placement of "purring" and "roar" in the same stanza (next to the last)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love trains...and this reminds me of part of the reason why.

    ReplyDelete