Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mute pursuit

Not the pitter patter of rain,
Not the roaring of thunder,
Nor the flash of lightning strain,
All I hear is silence, I wonder.

Not he rustling of leaves,
Not the gushing of wind,
Nor, of the storm, the heaves,
All I hear is silence, I find.

Not the burn of the scorching sun,
Not the buzz of the flying bee,
Nor, the chirping of the birds on the run,
All I hear is silence, I see.

The quietness of the rooms,
The insulation below the transoms.
The panic of the moment looms,
Outside I go, and my world transforms!

5 comments:

  1. I like this one also. You describe the outside so well while being inside - I wanted to go out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Therese B. at RWP -- I like the interplay of opposites in this poem. By mentioning what is not there, you put it there in the mind, bring it into mental existence. By repeating "Not the" at the same that that you vary the endings " I wonder/I find/I see lines," you prevent the repetition from becoming boring. By setting most of the poem indoors, but then moving outdoors in the last lines, you bring everything not there into physical existence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. isn't it great when one steps outside from the silence that weighted us inside? everything has a different texture and feel to it, it becomes vibrant. wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading; and thank you in advance for the feedback